Pagina's

Categories

Jul 25, 2012

Building IJN Nachi

IMG_3646


Ok, so here's the first of my scratchbuilt warships, scale 1:1800. I've built this ship in January 2010. After studying some tutorials at the Forumini made by their expert modellers I decided to give scratchbuilding a shot. I aquired some plasticcard and looked for a nice subject to build.
This turned out to be a IJN nachi. War at Sea had its own Nachi model, but the details and dimensions on it were terrible. When I got the mini I was quite disappointed... The sizes seemed to be quite off making my favorite cruiser look quite fat.

Something better must be possible for this beautiful ship so I tried building one myself. I already tried building some cargoships but this would be my first warship...

She turned out way way way better than I ever expected so I also entered her in the then-new Golden Battleship competition 2010 organised by the Forumini, taking first prize!

More about the building process behind the link, clicky!


First stages with the original model next to it:
IMG_3634
IMG_3636

I used layered plasticcard to build up the hull and deck and then cut all kinds of bits and pieces to build up the superstructure.

Next stage...

IMG_3638

And some more work done...
The torpedo-tubes have been added thanks to a suggestion (and how-to) of Seisen, one of the Forumini top scratchbuilders.

IMG_3640

Finished building (also added a scratchbuilt floatplane)...

IMG_3643

And finished painting...

IMG_3644

I must say that I'm real proud of her, the project turned out far better than I could have ever hoped.

Ok, and then for the piece de resistance...

IMG_3646
IMG_3648
IMG_3649

No comments: